Online Course for Element Two of Breakthrough Influence.
With simple frameworks and processes, this is about taking a careful approach to your work as an influencer, and making sure you achieve economy of effort and create maximum movement towards your goals. Once you know what your strategy needs to be, the actions become straightforward and easier to execute.
You probably need to develop your capability in this element of Breakthrough Influence if you are noticing any of the following in your working day:
- Little or no response from key stakeholders.
- Decisions wavering and changing.
- People saying one thing and doing another.
- Stakeholders holding back vital information.
- Resistance or outright opposition to your plans.
- People telling lies and hiding things from you.
"My purpose, and my passion, is to help you to take positive, high-integrity action to become more influential."
- Politics being played around your work.
- Repeated challenges to your objectives and plans.
- Stakeholders getting angry when you move ahead anyway.
Overall, what this does is reduce the amount of time you have available because you spend so much time chasing stakeholders and wondering what is going wrong. It also makes for a very stressful working life.
Alternatively, you are probably doing okay on this element if the balance swings towards the following:
- At meetings, they will Stakeholders will proactively speak out in support of what you are doing, especially when you are not present.
- If you reach out to them, they will respond quickly.
- They will give you the time you need, when you need it.
- They will tell you what is going on, sharing their political insights.
- When you hit a problem, they will put other things to one side so they can help you.
- If others voice concerns or start causing problems, they will jump in and take care of it.
In short, if you've got your stakeholders engaged and bought in, you will be a high priority on their agenda. This makes your life much simpler and less stressful. When they're committed, you can get on and do your job.
Developing Your Capability
One of the things I have noticed is that if you want to improve your results, you have to get your stakeholders in the right position. And, that requires a strategic approach to your work as an influencer, especially if you are working in a complex environment.
Applying Strategic Influence, the second element in my Breakthrough Influence approach, will help make sure that you do this, and begin to enjoy more of the benefits found in the second list above. It is divided into five online modules:
The Stakeholder Influence Process
"Focus on your role as an influencer, learn how to organise and get moving quickly on identifying what you need to make happen, and with whom."
To begin, it is important to understand exactly what a strategic approach to influence is, and what it is not.
This first module will help you to learn the frameworks and main processes that are used by successful influencers. This includes being able to focus clearing on what you need to influence, and who you need to influence, to achieve your goal(s).
Because of the amount of learning available here, we recommend that you plan to spend an hour a week over a period of three months to complete the course. Naturally, you can flex this to suit your needs, and your time availability.
That said, don’t leave it too long to complete your studies, implement and gain the benefits available once you have become competent at Applying Strategic Influence!
Presenter: Colin Gautrey, author, facilitator and executive coach.
"My passion, and my purpose, is to help you to find positive, high-integrity action to become more influential."
Colin has specialised in the practical use of power and influence, especially in large/complex organisations, for over 10 years.
In that time, he has trained and coached at middle to senior levels in a wide range of blue-chip corporates, written five books and presented his ideas to tens of thousands of talented and ambitious professionals.
In this course, you will hear Colin sharing his unique insights, examples, and suggestions, on what you can do to become more influential.
Copyright © 2017 Colin Gautrey Limited. All Rights Reserved.