July has been a fascinating month in my research project.
I’ve have spoken or engaged with hundreds of people from a great many large organisations, including the likes of PwC, Deutsche Bank, GSK, SAP, Cognizant, Deloitte and many more besides. It has been a great delight to talk with some many people, all of whom have a genuine desire to help and contribute. So, a big thank you so everyone who has got involved so far!
A key theme emerging during the month was the prominence of a challenge that I would like to use a generally quiet month of August to explore more deeply. Namely, how to get noticed and be recognised.
This is a big issue, with many twists and turns. Here are a couple of the comments (anonymous and attributable as always) to illustrate the challenge:
- “In a room full of Type A people who are all exceptionally talented, ambitious and intelligent, how do you stand out? We don’t have anyone here who is not very good at their job so the bar is very high.”
- “I’ve been effectively being an FD role for a couple of years now, but confirmation of my grade has never materialised. Now they want me to do more and I already feel under-valued and am thinking about leaving.”
- “Being good at my job is just what I do. But, I’m ambitious and reckon I could be doing a great deal more for the company, but can’t seem to get the opportunity to show them what I’m made of.”
Many other examples were shared with me during my short calls, and now I’d like to delve more deeply into this topic. Since August is traditionally a quiet month for me, I’m going to dedicate quite a bit of time and energy into this, and it would be great if you have a few moments to help me along a little too. Then we can all learn together, share our experience and help people to make progress here.
Watch or Listen Here
- Establishing the Influence Research Hubs to allow group members to share their examples, ideas and support each other, with a special focus in August on Attracting Attention. There is a brand new Facebook Group and a refocused LinkedIn Group. It would be great if you could join in the fun. I’ll be sharing a lot of resources there too, so if you want to come and learn how to get attention, share your wisdom for our younger colleagues, or just keep an eye on what’s emerging, you’d be most welcome!
- Engage, provoke and stimulate as many people as possible to make August the month they start to turn things around. This will happen in all channels, with everything appearing on the research hubs, so another reason to head on over there and join in.
- Offer FREE Coaching sessions on the topic of “visibility, recognition and reward.” These will be offered to suitable people with the aim of developing a clear strategy or them to get noticed. On my side, it will help me to understand the problem, the issues and the solutions as part of the research I am doing. If you’d like to apply, or know someone who should apply, head on over to FREE Coaching Session.
Two points to close on.
Firstly, if you’d like to share your take on this topic, what you have experienced or seen happening. Or maybe, how you have overcome the challenge, simply send me a message or if you like, we can fix up a quick call.
And finally, thank you, all the many hundreds of people in my network who share my passion for sharing their expertise, experience and for the hundreds of people who take our ideas on board and doing something positive with them!
Join the Research Hub