Okay, this may be fairly straightforward, but if you are too direct and assertive, it is important to be clear about the problems that can be caused. In many ways, this is a little like an audit of the damage you could be seeing, and perhaps an extra motivation to take a step forward in adjusting your behaviour.
The limitations of avoiding tact and diplomacy include…
- Weaker people try to avoid me.
- Yes, people can get upset by my approach.
- May not take everyone along with me.
- Could miss vital intelligence which can affect decision quality.
- Challenge is healthy and being too direct can limit that challenge.
- Can be career limiting due to upsetting too many people.
- Frustrating having to be tactful when we’ve got a business to run.
Try to add a few more of your own as these are just a quick summary.