Once you have understood your own preferences, it is important that you start to assess the degree of distraction which could be caused by different styles with each of your key stakeholders.
- Use the grid below to note down your scores and also to make an assessment of three of your stakeholders. If they were to complete the Influence Profile, what score do you think they would get for each dimension? Focus on stakeholders who are important to influence and where there appears to be a difference of style distracting the communication.
- Use these questions to challenge yourself (or ask a friend/colleague to do this for you).
For each stakeholder…
Run through each dimension using these questions…
- Where do you think they score on…?
- What evidence do you have?
- Any evidence which could suggest a different score?
- On balance, have you got the score right?
Then consider their profile as a whole…
- Which dimension(s) would you alter to get the score to 30?
- How does this person compare to your profile?
- What influencing strategy will you adopt? (voice/expression/body language/words and phrases)
Finally, document your ideas on what a more suitable influencing strategy would be for each stakeholder you have been considering.