The ability to flex your influencing style up and down each of the dimensions is very useful if you want to become more influential. This is sometimes easier said than done and it really helps if you can make it as comfortable to achieve as possible.
Reflect on your scores. Which one would you most like to be able to change? If you could flex your behaviour to the other end, which would be most useful to you? Which is most difficult or uncomfortable to change?
Select one end of one dimension to focus this exercise on. Then use the questions below and/or get some input from a colleague to help you discover new ideas on how you can adapt your style more effectively when you need to.
- Who is a role model for the style you want to adopt?
- What do they do that you don’t do?
- How could you be more like them in this respect?
- What’s holding you back?
- How could you overcome this resistance?
- Consider a recent situation – how would you need to act differently to adopt this style?
- What can help you do this?
- What opportunities do you have coming up where you can exercise this behaviour?
- How will you know that you are making progress?
- If you do this, how will you benefit?