The more clarity you have about your goal, the more progress you will make. This exercise will help you to really refine your thinking about the goal you are choosing to focus the Stakeholder Influence Process.
If you have a friend helping you, start off by briefly explaining your goal.
- What influence do you want to achieve?
- Whom do you need to influence?
- What do you want them to do differently?
- How do you want their thinking to change?
- Will their feelings/attitudes also change?
- How would an independent observer know you have achieved your goal? What evidence would there be?
- How will you measure your progress and success?
- Can you state your goal in a SMART* way in one clear sentence?
* Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound. Check out this topic on Wikipedia.