The extent to which your personal power comes from your physical characteristics.
While not necessarily acknowledged, the way you look, sound, and move can influence others. Perhaps not a key influence, but it certainly does have an effect which could be useful in the right surroundings. As with other types of power, the effect of your physical presence will be determined by the group expectations and values.
Considerable care is required when developing and using this type of power because of the potentially very wide variations in a group regarding what is acceptable; for example, many may be positively influenced by a loud voice, just as many may feel it is overbearing.
Strengths: Those who are making full use of this as a power source are keenly aware how their physical attributes influence others. They will carefully adjust their tone of voice or maximise the impact created by their height, size or attractiveness. They will skilfully manage personal space to create the desired effect.
Limitations: Over-used or exaggerated, this power source can be perceived as contrived and superficial. This can lead to reduced credibility, particularly if this source is being used in the absence of other power sources.
Someone who models Physical Power will…
- be aware of the impact their physical characteristics have.
- stand closer to people to emphasise their height and size.
- wear clothes which reveal their attractive physical assets.
- possess a winning smile.
- use their voice flexibly to create the effect they want.
- be able to exaggerate their positive physical characteristics.
- carefully hide their less attractive features.
- look a picture of health and fitness.
- have learned how to diminish the visibility of negative attributes.
- Find out which of your physical attributes create positive and negative effects on others.
- Explore ways to improve the positive and mask the negative.
- Consider your level of physical fitness. Join a gym or start with moderate increases in exercise.
- Consider engaging a personal trainer.
- Yoga and other disciplines can dramatically improve posture and stance, as well as help with stress and relaxation.
- A personal style consultant can make sure that your clothes match your body shape ensuring that you make the most of your height and weight.
- Consider changes to your diet which would lead to small but significant changes in your body shape.
- Consult a voice coach to check for improvements you could be making.