In this guide, I will focus on helping you to increase your ability to quickly identify the stakeholders who are critical to your success. It is all too easy to focus time and effort on the wrong ones and lose ground in your influence. This aspect should never be taken for granted and the result of this part of the Stakeholder Influence Process frequently yields huge progress towards your goal.
As with other guides, this page will introduce you to content within the library which will help you in the identification process.
- Introduction to Stakeholder Identification.
- Identify Stakeholders by Category. This will stimulate your thinking about the wide range of potential stakeholders you might need to engage with.
- Exercise: Identifying Stakeholders. A set of key questions to begin to determine who you should have on your list.
- Prioritising Stakeholders to Analyse. This is a quick exercise to help you reduce the number of stakeholders you are going to be focusing on.
- Group Stakeholder Management. If you find yourself thinking about groups of stakeholders rather than individuals, this may help you to find the optimum approach.
Even if you do this step thoroughly, you should still keep challenging yourself as you move forward — who else should you be including? However, don’t spend too long here; you need to get on with the stakeholder mapping!